Hi there. We noticed over the weekend that if I nurse Alex before her meals she refuses to eat...It's all very stressful and conserning. I left a message for the G.I. doc and the nutritionist informing them of this and requested the upper G.I. test to be moved up. I also got a call this evening from a lactation nurse from CHOP who works with G.I. and nutrition. She asked me a lot of questions. She suggested that I rent a hospital grade pump and pump 6 times a day. She said that at this point Alex is getting most of her nutrition from her baby food, since she is not drinking much. She said to stop nursing Alex before her meals, to only nurse her 3 times a day for now and focus on getting my milk supply back up. She said that once I pump and once I have the scale I will know how much milk I am getting and how much Alex is taking. She said that the milk I pump I should add to the baby's food and basically get her to "drink" what she needs that way. She said this will help with staying away from the feeding tube. The lactation nurse also said that I should be taking a supplement that will increase my milk production. Like my friend Melissa said, it's a lot of work but none of the pumped milk will go to waste and the time, money and effort that will go into pumping will be more then worth the effort if it works. Please pray that all this will work, that the upper G.I. test will get moved up to sometime this week and for God to give the doctors wisdom and discerment in finding out any medical issues Alex may have. Oh, also, the lactation nurse was annoyed that the pediatritian put Alex on cereal so early instead of working on her getting enough milk (I am noticing a theme here). She said that when you give an infant baby food before they are 6 - 7 months of age they see the baby food as replacement for milk instead of an addition to the milk. She also said that babies who are in the NICU whose mom's pump for so long, when they go home and nurse the breast milk production is not as stimulated by nursing and the demand for milk from the baby is less so the milk supply has a tendency to go down and is harder to keep up then for mom's who have full term babies and are able to nurse from day one. She said it's easy to miss this since most of these babies will still act energetic and happy on not enough milk. Anyway, please keep praying! Thank you!
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Be encouraged Kam! :) How great of the lactation nurse to call you! Praying for you guys...much love from the D'Amicos!
ReplyDelete