Friday, May 1, 2009

Mrs. Hives

A quick prayer request. I've been calling Alex Mrs. Hives lately because of the hives and rashes she has been getting since Easter. On Wednesday I got really concerned because the hives were increasing and got pretty bad and on Thursday morning Alex got hives all over her mouth, cheeks, chin and face. The pediatrician was really concerned when I called on Thursday morning. Their fear was that if Alexandria's tongue or throat swells up she could stop breathing. So they had me hurry over to the office for an "emergency" appointment. By the time we got there the hives on Alex's face were just about gone but she had them all over her body and they were getting worse. The doctor gave Alex some Benedril, told me to give that to her every 6 hours (including throughout the night) and made an "emergency" appointment for us to go to an allergist the following day (today). I also was told to call Alexandria's urologyst and ask them to change her current antibiotic to one that is not a sulfite based antibiotic. Apparently Bactrim is great in preventing urinary tracked infections and it has very little side effects but it is highly allergenic to people who are predisposed to allergens. Alex got switched over from Amoxicillin to Bactrim about a month and a half ago. Steve is allergic to Sulfites and has a ton of other allergies plus asthma. The allergyst said that he can not do allergy testing on such a small baby unless it is for food allergies. He said it is very unlikely that Alex has food allergies and that what she has looks like an allergic reaction to Bactrim. He said that I can take a deep breath because with an allergy like that Alexandria's throat will not close up. He said to stop giving her the Benedril and to give her some other drug instead. The drug he gave us is a brand new liquid version of Zyrtec. If things get really bad I can give her Benedril on top of this other drug but I should not have to do that. I am to give this new version of Zyrtec to Alex once a day for 2 weeks and then follow up with an appointment. The allergyst said that the Bactrim can be in Alexandria's system for some time...so I may be seeing hives here and there for a while. They are not very harmful. If they get worse or continue we may have to do a food allergy test but like I said, this is very unlikely. If you could pray for our little Mrs. Hives we would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment