Thursday, February 11, 2010

18 Month Well Visit and Ear Check

Some good news and some not so good. I will start with the good. :) Alex weighed in at 23.27 lbs and measured 31 1/2 inches in length. This put her at 25% in weight and 50% in height - very good! The Pediatrician was very pleased. Alexandria passed her test for Autism. She has 11 teeth and the 12th tooth is coming in! Babies get 20 primary teeth in case you did not know...I didn't...The fluid behind Alexandria's ear drums is all gone! ~ Thanks to our chiropractor Sid. Yeepee!
Now the not so good news... :( Alex is behind with her gross motor skills - walking, stacking blocks, etc. We have an appointment with P.T. this month scheduled already for evaluation and therapy. Alex is also behind in her speech...even though she talks up a storm in her own little language and says words here and there she is not where she should be. Alex should be able to say words like nose, mouth, eyes, etc. while pointing to them as well as worlds like ball, bug, etc. You get the idea. She should also be able to understand more of what we are saying and respond accordingly as well as obey simple commands like "touch your nose", "get the ball" and such. The Pediatrician said this is all due to a combination of things - her prematurity is one but even a full term baby having to undergo all the medical procedures and surgeries Alex had to undergo would be behind...So mostly this is all due to her medical issues. The Pediatrician said that the speech issue is most likely contributed to Alexandria's ear infection/fluid behind her ear drums. Apparently when you have fluid behind your ear drums or an ear infection you can't hear and for a baby this age just learning how to talk this results in speech delay. We are to make an appointment with a Speech Therapist to have Alex evaluated and treated if needed. We are to also have her hearing tested to make sure all is well there. The Pediatrician said he would rather be proactive then have a bigger problem to deal with down the road. I pretty much knew what he would say about Alexandria's gross motor skills but I was really discouraged to hear about her speech...Such is life I guess.
I also asked about socializing Alex and he said that socializing right now is not a concern or a priority. Rather the priority should be keeping Alex healthy. He said that kids don't play together till around age 2; before then they play in the same room together but each is doing his/her own thing. From age 2 forward socializing becomes very important. He said that is it a very good sign that Alex is so excited about other kids and that she seems to be "socially attached" already which is another good sign. This made me feel better...because at times I feel so bad focusing so much on protecting Alex from kids and adults who are or may be sick...especially during the cold and flu season. I needed to hear that am doing the right thing...Alex got all her vaccinations she needed to get at 18 months today - of course she hated that...Next well visit is at 24 months.

Our appointments next week are as follows:
  • Tuesday February 16th - Alex goes under general anesthesia to her her JJ Stent removed.
  • Wednesday February 17th - G.I. and G.I. Nutrition
  • Friday February 19th - Patch Allergy Test
Steve will be away from Wednesday to Friday next week...again.

On Thursday the 18th, God willing, we will get a bit of a fun (and much needed) break from all these appointments...My friend Amy and her son Isaiah (a few months older then Alex) are coming over for a visit. Alex loooooves Isaiah! And I am really looking forward to catching up with my friend. Hopefully no one will get sick...

Between the tube feeds, the feeding exercised, all the appointments and a ton of other stuff I am beginning to feel brain dead...and I feel exhausted and somewhat unmotivated. It's only God's power and strength that keeps me moving forward and He is the One who gives me joy in the middle of this crazy month. I feel like all I do is everything I can for Alex to keep her healthy and on track but no matter what I do there is always something else that rears it's ugly head and nothing is ever enough...Sigh. I feel like I am buried under all of this and can't get out because as soon as Alex make some headway we get dumped on again...And I don't mean to sound selfish but I need a break too...and right now especially in a form on encouragement. You all probably thought I was kidding but I really do feel like I could use a personal assistant...someone to clean, grocery shop, run errands, cook, make all the calls, etc. so that I can focus on all that Alexandria's care and all the appointments entail. I feel like I have 4 full time jobs...but I'm only one person...I know all this will be well worth it in the end and Alex is such a gift!

Thanks again for your friendship and prayers! I will let you know how next weeks appointments go.

No comments:

Post a Comment