Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Apple Sauce Anyone?

I should video tape Alexandria's face at the chiropractor's office when she gets adjusted - she looks like she is in some kind of a spell floating on cloud 9! She looooves it! So funny! Glad that's one appointment I know she gets to enjoy...

Our appointment with the Child Psychologist today went well. As a matter of fact... Alex has been doing so well with her dry spoon feeding exercises (go Alex!) and since we now know what foods she is allergic to (for the most part) today during our session the doc decided it is time to put some food on that spoon! We chose apple sauce. A tiny amount (the size of a pin head) on the tip of the spoon. The way it works is that we give Alex two bites with an empty spoon and then a bite with a spoon that has a teeny bit of apple sauce on the end of it. We repeat this 9 times and will do it 3 times a day. Alex gets rewarded with a toy for 30 sec after each bite; if she does not take a bite she does not get a toy and Mommy turns away for 30 sec. This is what we have been doing with an empty spoon only. Giving Alex 2 bites with an empty spoon and in between the apple sauce gives Alex a break and it keeps her from becoming overwhelmed. Alex gaged every time she tasted the apple sauce at the end of the spoon and pushed the apple sauce out of her mouth but she did not refuse to do it again - a great sign! We still have a long road ahead of us but we keep on moving forward. Alex will be working on the apple sauce till she eats a certain amount of it per day consistantly for 5 days. Then we can try another food. It is a process...that's for sure...a long one at that...but I'm happy that we are taking baby steps in the right direction. I got some new reward toys for Alex today for when I get the apple sauce made and we begin doing this exercise at home. I have to unpack the baby food steamer and processor and buy some nice organic apples. Not sure when I will be able to fit all of that in to my week but I'm sure God will provide a way.
Keep on praying!

Something cute. Alex gets a bath in a little inflatable tub that sits inside a regular bathtub. Tonight when I was done giving Alex a bath and she was still sitting in it I was letting the water out of her little tub and Alex was leaning over the edge of her tub playing with water that was filling up in a corner between her little tub and the big tub. She was having a blast and then looked up at me and said, "Soooo cool!". I couldn't believe it! That was the first time she said that! Then she kept on saying it for the rest of the night - "Sooo cool.", "Sooo cool." over and over again. She really puts a smile on my face!

Tomorrow is our Special Babies Clinic appointment and on Thursday we go to get re-evaluated by P.T. I will let you know how those appointments go.

Have a great night!



No comments:

Post a Comment