
Hi all! Alexandria had her weigh in appointment today. She did better then last time – Alex weighed in at 11.3 lbs. Better but not good…This weight puts Alex in the 3% tile of her age group (adjusted to her prematurity). When she was born she was in the 3% tile and then she zigzagged to t he 10% tile and then declined back to 3%... Anything under 3% is considered to be a condition called a Failure to Thrive – basically what this diagnosis is saying is that the baby for one reason or another is not gaining enough weight. Alexandria’s pediatrician would like to see Alex do some catching up with her weight. He is sending us to see a nutritionist and an O.T. for an evaluation. Voorhees has a satellite specialty CHOP location so we won’t have to drive into Philadelphia. The doctor said that Alex “looks” good and does not in any way look malnourished. He said she may just be a “small package” and there may not be a problem at all but wants to make sure she is okay. I noticed that Alex eats a lot better and whole lot more in a sitting if I offer her food (first stage baby food or oatmeal) every two to three hours instead of giving her 3 big meals a day. I also have been feeding her right before her bedtime to ensure she sleeps better – a full tummy makes for a more peaceful night for mom and baby! I spoke prematurely about the Caro working for Alexandria’s constipation…Alex continues to really struggle with this…The pediatrician said that this is common in premature babies and also that preemies muscles are not as strong or as developed as a full term baby’s so it’s more difficult and frustrating for them to pass really hard poop. We are to stop the Caro and begin to give her a laxative once a day for a week. If that does not work we are to increase the dose to twice a day and see what happens. Alexandria’s lower lip keeps on cracking…I am told this happens in breastfed infants. The funny thing is that every time I put on Vaseline or chopstick she licks it off! She is very silly. J Alexandria’s little personality is coming out more and more! It’s so fun getting to know her and growing with her! Alexandria continues to love books, music and lights. She is not really into watching her Baby Einstein DVS’s as much anymore because she is too interested in what I am doing. She is mostly very content is she can simply be where I am and watches me intently. Alex is a very smart, interactive and social little girl! The Physical Therapy appointments have been kind of funny. We had two sessions so far. During the first session Alex just wanted to sleep and cried and cried in a protest of having to “work”. During the second session she was in a bad mood and wanted to have nothing to do with the P.T. person or with the toys she brought. The toys are ours to keep and I’ve been shown how to work with Alex with these toys through play to strengthen her upper body and tune up her fine motor skills. I try to get in as much as what I have been shown throughout the day with Alex. I am nervous about Alexandria’s kidney check up appointment in the beginning of April. Please continue to pray for healing for her left kidney. Please also pray for the P.T. appointments and for Alex to start gaining more weight as well as for the constipation issue to get resolved soon. Sorry - no new pictures this time around. We've been really busy getting our basement fixed and our house in order...I will get some new photos soon! Thank you! again for your friendship and care and of course for praying!

No comments:
Post a Comment