Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oh-Oh

Alex was radiating heat like crazy on Saturday morning but happy as can be. We took her temperature and it was 102.8. I took it 3 times and then took my own temp and Steve's temp to make sure the thermometer is working correctly. It was. We took Alex to the pediatrician (they are open on Saturdays and Sundays for sick appointments) because of Alexandria's upcoming surgery on Tuesday - she needs to be healthy in order for the surgery to take place. By the time we got to the pediatrician Alexandria's temp went down to 99.5. The only thing we could think of is that she ether has a UTI or is fighting of some kind of a viral infection. They way they test babies for a UTI (since they are not potty trained yet) is to catheterize them and this doc wanted to wait 24 hrs to see if the fever would break before putting Alex through that. Alex is on a preventative dose of an antibiotic to prevent UTI. This is because her left kidney does not drain out urine the way is should and so Alex has a higher chance for getting a UTI. She never had one, at least not yet. As soon as we got home Alexandria's fever was back up. It went up and down all day. The doc called to check up on as around 7:30 p.m. and said that if Alex has a fever on Sunday morning to call and bring her in for a urine test. We woke up this morning, took Alexandria's temp to find out she is still running a high fever. We took her in to get catheterized only to find out her bladder is empty. After the unsucesful catheterization the doc put a little bag on her and had us sit and wait to see if she would pee in it. We waited. Gave her drinks. Fed her breakfast. No pee. The office was closing and the doc did not want us to have to take Alex to the E.R. this afternoon or evening to get catheterized because he does not want her to be around all the sick kids so he send us home with a few extra bags for Alex to pee in. We are to collect the pee, refregerate it and bring it in tomorrow morning for a dip stick test. If the dipstick is positive the rest of the pee will be sent out to a lab to see what bacteria is causing the infection. This takes 48 hours. If the test is negative and Alex still has a fever it means that Alex has a virus that is going around - this virus causes no symptoms other then a fever and it lasts for about 3-4 days. Either way we are cutting it very close here...with the surgery on Tuesday. If Alex is still running a fever or if she has a UTI or is not feeling well or is sick in any way we will have to most likely reschedule Alexandria's Mic-Key button surgery. I trust that God is in control of this and that if the surgery needs to be rescheduled it is God's protection over Alex - He knows what is going to happen, we do not. At the same time I feel really bad for my daughter and am annoyed - this poor kid has had one thing after another happen to her and I am mentaly, emotionally and otherwise prepared for her to have the surgery on Tuesday. If we need to reschedule waiting again will be hard, we had to wait a month to get his surgery date and Alex really needs tube feeds during the day. If you could please pray for God's will to be done in this, favor, wisdom and for Alexandria's protection & healing we would really appreciate it. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment