


Definition of a Breath Holding Spell
"A breath holding spell is an involuntary pause in breathing, sometimes accompanied by loss of consciousness. It usually occurs in response to an upsetting or surprising situation.
Symptoms:
Bluish discoloration of the skin caused by lack of oxygen (cyanosis) or loss of skin color (pallor)
Crying and then stopping breathing (apnea)
Momentary unconsciousness or fainting
Short seizure-like movement (one to two jerks)"
"A breath holding spell is an involuntary pause in breathing, sometimes accompanied by loss of consciousness. It usually occurs in response to an upsetting or surprising situation.
Symptoms:
Bluish discoloration of the skin caused by lack of oxygen (cyanosis) or loss of skin color (pallor)
Crying and then stopping breathing (apnea)
Momentary unconsciousness or fainting
Short seizure-like movement (one to two jerks)"
Sooooo...After our follow up visit to a cardiologist on Friday the verdict is that Alex has a condition called a Breath Holding Spell. It is definitely not normal...The good news is that kids typically outgrow it by age 5 and the only danger is that they may pass out and get hurt while falling down. The cardiologist suggested laying Alex down when she is crying to prevent any injury due to falling. This does not affect her brain development in any way. Alex has not fained or lost consciousness during these spells yet nor did she ever have the short seizures - all good. Hopefully she never will...The cardiologist said this is a hereditary condition passed down from any family member who has a tendency to faint, etc. My mom has had multiple fainting spells over the years so that fits the description...Tomorrow I will have to reschedule Alexandria's kidney test; this time with general anesthesia. Alex will have to get general anesthesia until she outgrows this condition. I learned that the medicine they administer during sedation makes the kids feel high...Some babies like it and it relaxes them and some some babies get stressed out because they don't like the way it feels. Alex did not like it...and got stressed out. While crying she had her Breath Holding Spells and here we are.
Other then that - My mom has been coming over to watch Alex (in between the babies tube feeds) on Sundays while Steve and I go to church. This has been a real blessing - it means that I get to stay in the sanctuary and actually hear the message preached while Alex gets her morning nap (Alex won't sleep when we are out is is a complete nightmare when overtired). Everyone happy! And of course while Alex is sleeping my mom does laundry, empties the trash cans, cleans up a bit, etc. - a huge help! Today my mom brought us homemade pulled pork with all the fixings and cake for lunch! Mmmm!
It is getting so cold out! I actually went out and bought Alex a warm jacket, some warm shoes and a winter hat/glove set after our cardio appointment on Friday! And I bought myself some winter boots (I've had mine since 10th grade! Yes, 10th grade of high school! It was time to retire my old boots...I need to get a few more pair but 2 is a good start.).
Alex is more and more vocal and active. She is really funny and keeps us laughing (and busy)! She gets into everything now and we really have to watch her...As I write this, Alex managed to get out of a seat she was buckled into and is now turning knobs on the TV receiver after opening up the cabinet the TV receiver is in. I got to go...Enjoy your Sunday evening! And thank you for your prayers!

No comments:
Post a Comment