Friday, November 27, 2009

Funny Moments and the Gift of Learning

I don't know if you mentioned this or not - Alex has a favorite blanket. She will take any blanket but she has a favorite one. During the day I keep her favorite blanket on top of Alexandria's toy chest in the living room because she likes to be covered by this blanket and play with its corner while getting her tube feeds - so I like to keep in close but out of the way when not in use. Today was a bit of an off day for Alex and she was ready to go to bed earlier then usual. Steve took Nick to a men's campfire get together at our church so it was just me and Alex here after dinner. As I was getting Alexandria's overnight feed ready Alex was crying and whining in the living room impatient for her Mommy to come and get her. Then all of the sudden the crying and whining stopped...I got nervous and walked over to the living room to see what happened. I wish I had my camera on hand! Alex was standing by her toy chest (her back facing me) with one hand up to her mouth sucking her thumb and the other hand stroking a corner of her favorite blanket! Her head was snuggle up against the blanket!
On a different note - I don't know if you heard of something called "Your Baby Can Read!"? Well, Steve and I kept on seeing commercials for it and then one day after talking to me Steve decided to order it. It's sort of like home schooling for babies...teaching them to read, talk, etc. I finally finished reading the parent instruction book and watched the instructional DVD for parents. And today I began incorporating this program into Alexandria's day. Doing it will mean some changes for us as a family but all positive things I have been thinking about anyway. Alex loves books, is very smart, inquisitive and always tries to figure out how things work. I think this will give her a positive direction through "play" and an advantage in school and life. Plus, with her delays due to prematurity this may help her to catch up. I just hope I can keep up with it! It will take much discipline on my part. And...I was thinking...as someone who worked with kids for years and even way back when began going to collage for teaching ...and as someone who even as a single woman picked my married friends with kids' brains about homeschooling (for those who home school) I was thinking that this may be a good test to see how it works and how I feel about it. There are many things I love about home schooling and there are things I like about attending school...However, we don't live in the best school district...so if we sent Alex to school it would be a Christian private school. We will see. One of my friends told me that when her kids were 3 years old she attended homeschooling seminars, etc. to see if she wanted to go in that direction. She has 4 kids now, the youngest a baby, and she home schools her kids. They are on a tight schedules and a rigid program but the girls and the parents really like it. Homeschooling can cater more to a child's learning style and teach them the values you as a parent want to teach them when it comes to sex ed, religion, etc. You can tell them about all that's out there, and then explain what you believe to be truth and why. In a world where you can't talk about God is schools...and where sex is regarded as not a big deal, homeschooling sounds like a good option to explore. We will see where God leads as we seek Him and look at different options over the next few years. Pray for us! :) And pray for Mom to be able to handle this added responsibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment