Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Surgery Date and Tube Feeds

Well, we finally have a surgery date! It took me having to be very definite and a bit demanding when I called on Monday...but so be it! Alexandria's surgery date is January 12th. We will meet with the Anesthesia Team on January 6th. I was told the incision will be about 3 cm (so not very big) and that home care will be minimal - much less then when Alex came home with the Mic-Key Button.
Alex continues to not tolerate her daytime feeds very well...She vomits most days and some days she upchucks all of her feeds. Yesterday she vomited all of them and when this morning she began vomiting her 9:00 a.m. feed I almost stated crying and just about called 911. The reason I got so concerned was because Alex got so upset that was throwing up once again that she began to cry while throwing up and vomit was backing up into her mouth and down her throat. No sound was coming out while she was crying and her face was turning funny colors. I thought she was going to choke to death! I patted her back and calmed her down and then she was okay. Yesterday while in a body carrier Alex vomited her 1:00 p.m. feed as soon as we got to the grocery store...all over her and me. All this throwing up is clearly not normal. I feel so bad for my baby and I am getting concerned about her nutrition and dehydration. I also feel as though I can't leave the house during Alexandria's feeds our of fear that she will vomit all over everything while we are out. I have not been able to wash Steve's and mine clothes or do other chores around the house because all I ever do is wash Alexandria's sheets, blankets and clothes that have been thrown up on throughout the day. To top this off Alex is congested and has a low grade fever AND I see 3 new teeth coming in! Sooo...Alex in now on Pedialyte only during her day time feeds. Her G.I. wrote a script to our Home Care company requesting a different formula - this one has a Way Protein in it that helps with digestion and the Proteins in it are more broken down making it gentler on the belly. The G.I. also wants to see Alex this Friday morning and run some tests to make sure the problem does not lie in Alexandria's digestion rather then with the formula we are using. In meantime, if Alex begins vomiting the Pedialyte I am to admit her to CHOP. Oh, and Alexandria's Swine Flu vaccine came in yesterday to her Pediatricians office. She can not receive it, however, if she is sick...and her Pediatrician want to see her anyway to make sure Alex is not getting an upper respiratory infection or an ear infection (this is much more complicated and dangerous in preemies) so we are heading over to see the Pediatrician tomorrow. So...between all of this, Christmas decorating, shopping, etc. and life I feel like I am spinning my wheels and getting no where...and I am exhausted. Your prayers are appreciated. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment