December 28, 2009 - Now what?.jpg)
December 28, 2009 - How do I get out of here??
Cute, isn't she? Just keep your hands close to your own body - she bites! Yeah...It all started as an "innocent" bite while playing with her cousin Courtney on Christmas Day. Alex got so excited and didn't know how to express it so she gave Courtney a hug and bit her neck! When Courtney pushed Alex off Alex launched at her again! We let it go thinking this is an isolated incident BUT today when I told Alex 'no' to touching keys on my laptop keyboard she threw a fit and then out of anger launched at my arm and bit me. When I told her 'no' and gently slapped her hand she slapped my hand! So little Alex ended up in an empty play pen in a place where Mommy is not in view for 5 min or so. I'm not sure what to do...I called our Pediatrician who (about a month ago) told me that babies Alexandria's age have no understanding of cause and affect yet and the best way to handle tantrums at this age is to ignore her or distract her. He said that disciplining her with a "time out" in a play pen or any other kind of a discipline at this age will not be affective because she won't understand why I'm doing it and it can develop some unhealthy behaviors and fears...Makes sense but what do you do with a cute little biter!? A few days ago Alex also started to hit her face and head when she feels angry or frustrated and is at the end of her rope. I think she is trying to figure out different ways of expressing her emotions when she "can't take it anymore". And I am trying to figure out how to help to direct her expression of emotions in healthy/productive way. I know it's frustrating being a kid - you can't do much by yourself and you are at at the mercy of an adult who is not always available...but what is appropriate at this age and what isn't? Also, even though Alex is almost 17 months old she is only 14 months adjusted age to her prematurity...so what age do I go by? I don't want her getting into any bad habits - like hurting herself or others due to being frustrated...I bit when I was small and I even remember doing it! When my parents made a fuss I remember not knowing what all the commotion is about...what happened or what I did wrong. Now I do! Well, you can add this to your list of prayers for us and our little baby girl. :)
Thank you!
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment